Wednesday, March 27, 2013

spring cleaning...

Our house has anxiously been awaiting the arrival of spring.  Warmer temperatures can't get here soon enough.  One day we think spring is just about here, we get all excited about shedding some heavier layers of clothing, then Mother Nature gets a good laugh at us and drops an inch or two of snow. 

So many wonderful and fun things come with our spring... soccer, warm temps, dreaming up planting and gardens.  Bad things come with spring, too, allergies being one thing and spring cleaning being the other.  Who has time for allergies or cleaning?  Not me.

I was just chatting with a friend about cleaning.  How we both dislike it.  If you know me well, you might be rubbing your eyes and making sure you're reading what I just said correctly... I don't like to clean!

A year ago today I would have said I loved cleaning.  I found great satisfaction in a squeaky clean house with every item in it's spot, the bottom of the hamper empty and freshly vacuumed lines in the carpet. 

Not any more.

These days, now that I'm working full time, I'll take a nicely picked up house.  Heck, some days I don't even care about that, but for the most part, I enjoy a tidy house.  I can sit and chill out much better after a day of work if there isn't a mess at my feet, in the sink or on the floor.  But some days, I just don't care.

My house isn't filthy.  It's just not spotless, like I used to think it needed to be.  Working 40 hour weeks has made me realize that there is more important things to be done with my family and cleaning comes when there is time. 

As some of my friends start their version of spring cleaning... emptying out the house to vacuum, mop and wipe down every square inch of their house, I'll be walking around picking up those big out of place items, running the vacuum quickly through the room and spraying a little Febreeze (which really isn't Febreeze, it's a homemade recipe, because I'm cheap frugal) in hopes that you'll love the smell and ignore the layer of dust I most likely forgot to wipe up.

Happy Spring!

No comments: