Sunday, September 18, 2011

riddle me this...

What do you get when you cross a sweatsuit, some felt, ping-pong balls, a little needle & thread and a hat?  Hopefully a pretty awesome and at least semi-original Halloween costume!  ( Was that a riddle?  I don't know, I'm not good at telling jokes or riddles, that's my husband's thing. I'm the one you're usually having to explain the joke to after everybody has already had their laugh. )

Wish me luck as I piece this costume together!  It's my first time making a Halloween costume and I'm cheating a little buy using a sweatsuit, but I don't have a sewing machine, so the sweatsuit is easier than buying fleece and sewing it by hand.

I'd love a sewing machine, but I don't have anywhere to put it and I can pretty much only sew straight lines. ( I'm sure I could redo every pillow case in my house, but I think we're good for now. )  So, yes I am cheating...we'll call it semi-homemade.  Isn't that what Sandra Lee is all about?    What's her philosophy?  70% ready-made products and 30% fresh ingredients...she's talking food, but I think I can apply that here, too.  I might not be as sparkly as she is when she makes her semi-homemade creations, but I'll throw on a sparkly party shirt in her honor as I sew.

I'll let you know how it all turns out or maybe mid-process as things start to come together.  I just ordered the sweatsuit today, so I can't really start until that arrives.  So, sometime in the next week I'll be threading my needle and sewing up a storm.  Updates might include a little whine as I try to figure out what exactly I've gotten myself into.  And I'm seriously hoping G.Q. loves what I create.  He loves all my craftiness (because I'm his mom) but I'm really hoping my crafting abilities live up to what he hopes this costume will be.

I promise, there will be pictures, but it might not be until Halloween.




No comments: