Friday, February 27, 2009

Favorites: Embossing

My favorite way to add texture to my cards or scrap booking is with dry embossing. Cuttlebug makes dry embossing so easy with their embossing folders. They’re perfectly sized to do an entire 4.25x5.5inch card front. But one of my favorite ways to use it is on die cuts and shapes. I’ve added dimension and texture to heart shapes, tree shapes, circles…the possibilities are endless! (there are also smaller embossing folders, but I haven’t used them.)

What is great about Cuttlebug embossing folders is they work in different types of die cutting systems; you don’t need to own the Cuttlebug to use. I own the Ellison Big Shot and it works perfectly. They can also be used in the Big Kick and Quickutz Revolution. The correct plate sandwiching varies from brand to brand, if you’re unsure what to use or if your machine will accept the embossing folders check out the forums at SplitCoastStampers; they’re a great resource! Embossing folders are an inexpensive tool, usually around $5 and you use them over and over and over…totally worth every penny!

I only have a few embossing folders right now. I think three, but would love to add a few more to my collection. I recently went browsing on the net and discovered that Provo Craft now makes tons of embossing folders…I have some shopping to do ;)

No comments: