Thursday, October 20, 2011

happy 7th birthday...

a week late!  If you read yesterdays post, you'll understand why this post is a week late, we've been B-U-S-Y!

G.Q. is 7!  I can't believe that!  What's really hard to believe is what an amazing little man he's become!  He's so smart and so sweet and such a ball of energy and joy.  I'm very lucky to be his mommy!



This year, G.Q. wanted a kid party but he had one last year and we've said that we're not doing big parties every year for his birthday.  Mean mom and dad, I know, but we have our reasons.  I told him I'd make special cupcakes for his class though; thankfully G.Q. thought that was a great idea!  I never told G.Q. I was going to make Angry Birds toppers so he was surprised when I showed him and he loved them! 




The cupcakes...G.Q. wanted cupcakes with red frosting.  Sounds easy, but it's not.  G.Q. is allergic to artificial food colors, so I had to hit Whole Foods hoping to find natural red food coloring.  No such luck.  They had a "red" but it was more a raspberry color and I was afraid it would look pink, so my other choices were blue and brown.  Nice variety, huh?  Blue is what I decided to go with.  The coloring worked better than I thought it would, it should for $12 for a 2oz bottle, but it still had a grey undertone, which is what I was worried about.  Natural food colors can be a bit dull.  Fine with me, because they're natural, but when kids are used to all these vibrant colors and then I give them a dull blue, I worried they might not try the cupcake.  I was wrong.  When I stopped in to have lunch with G.Q. most of the kids in his class thanked me for the yummy cupcakes!  I'm glad they enjoyed them.  Due to allergies in the class (nut and soy) I was limited to not only colors but recipes to use.  I'm so glad they tasted good and looked good!  G.Q.'s teacher and guidance counselor verified that the cupcakes were delicious and the teacher's loved them.  His teacher said the kids were out on the playground using the toppers to play Angry Birds.  

According to G.Q. "this was the BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!"  *huge smiles from mommy*  I'm so glad that we were able to make it a great birthday for him even though there wasn't a huge party.  I'm glad he got to see we don't need lots of partied and presents to make it the best birthday ever, too. 


 Happy Birthday, buggy!  We love you so much!





No comments: