Monday, September 12, 2011

best iced coffee, ever...

I'm not an iced coffee drinker, I think it's gross.  I want my coffee piping hot and no other way.  In fact, I order my latte extra-hot, because I want it steaming hot until the very last sip.  The husband, though, loves iced coffee.  Not sure what is wrong with him?  tee hee!  He's been making iced coffee a few mornings a week to take to work and uses our Keurig, which he thinks is good, but I think he likes Starbucks a bit better, they use a brewed coffee that has been refrigerated, so the strength or boldness of the coffee isn't diluting immediately when poured onto the ice.  The Keurig just brews the coffee directly on top of a cup filled with ice.  The husband loves a good, strong coffee, so I think he's losing the boldness of the coffee w/the dilution.  He doesn't use the iced coffee specific K-cup, so that could be part of the problem, but now it doesn't matter, because I've found the solution. (it's cheaper then a K-cup, too...double bonus!)

So, the other day, while I was browsing one of my favorite sites The Pioneer Woman, I found her recipe for the perfect cup of iced coffee.  It looked awfully simple and I happened to have some spare coffee grounds in the freezer because I've been using K-cups mostly.  Why not try it and see what the husband thinks.  Well, he loved it!

Here is what I did:

  • in covered baking dish combine 1/2 pound of coffee grounds with 1 1/2 quarts of cold, filtered water
  • cover dish and let sit on the counter for 12 hours
  • after twelve hours of "brewing," pour mixture through strainer into a container that can be sealed.  I lined my strainer with two layers of paper towels just in case their was a grind small enough to get through the mesh strainer
  • the sealed container can be stored in the fridge for a good amount of time 

Now, when the husband wants an iced coffee, he can just pour some chilled coffee concentrate into a glass of ice, add some sugar and a little half & half and he has his perfect cup! 

No comments: