Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Yum!

We're on snow day #3. Being housebound is getting a little old at this point. I love staying home and relaxing, but after three days w/out much option to go out, I'm ready to get out. Thinking we'll head out for dinner tonight, just for a change of scenery.

GQ usually eats breakfast at school. His choice. Knowing that he'll be eating with his classmates motivates him to get up, get dressed and out the door on time, so I don't argue. Since we've been trapped in the house and I have to feed him breakfast, thought I'd try this Everything Breakfast Bar recipe a friend passed on to me.

The recipe is really simple and delicious. At the suggestion of my friend, I ran the oats in my food processor to make them into more a flour. I think w/out that the bars might have needed a plate and fork to eat neatly. I did change out the raisins for 1/4 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips. We're not really a raisin family.

I thought for certain GQ would love these; he seems to love all things pumpkin, but I was wrong. I even heard him offer this up to his little friend when I offered her one "you don't want one, trust me, they're gross." STINKER! The husband thought they were tasty. They reminded us of Quaker Oatmeal To Go bars, except we knew what was in these bars and cheaper than the Quaker bars. I might experiment w/some different add-ins and maybe get fancy and put some icing on for a treat. Hopefully they'll freeze alright, I'll let you know if they don't.

No comments: