Friday, January 7, 2011

In the kitchen...

I'm really trying to stick to my plan of cooking more each week. Part of that plan is to try new recipes. I've never been great about trying new recipes because a certain member of my family, not the 6 y/o, is picky. I can usually get the little guy to try a new vegetable, but the husband isn't always so easily convinced. This year, I'm vowing to not let that stop me from trying new dishes and I might find out that I can sneak stuff in and he won't be the wiser.

The other night, I made a super-simple and super-tasty stir-fry. I found the recipe in my Everyday with Rachel Ray magazine. I did tweak here and there to make it so my family would eat it, basically substituting vegetables. I used onions, yellow and orange peppers, zucchini, cherry tomatoes and mushrooms. I also used mozzarella cheese instead of parmesan because I prefer the milder taste. Here is the actual recipe for you to try if you're interested. It really does go together very quickly, perfect for a busy night!

Stir-Fried Pasta Primavera
serves: 4 prep: 15 mins cook: 15 mins

Ingredients:
3 cups broccoli florets
12 oz fettuccine pasta
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 red onion, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4 inch thick
4 carrots, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
salt and pepper to taste
3/4 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil

Directions:
1. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the broccoli until bright green, about 30 seconds. Transfer to colander, reserving water in the pot. Add the pasta to the pot and cook until al dente; drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the pasta cooking water.

2. Heat a 14-inch, flat-bottomed wok over high heat until a bead of water vaporizes upon contact. Swirl in 1 tbsp of oil. Add the onion and, using a metal spatula, stir-fry until it is fragrant, about 1 minute.

3. Swirl in remaining 1 tbsp oil. Add the broccoli and carrots and stir-fry until the carrots begin to wilt, about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and stir-fry for 1 minute. Swirl in the cream, bring to a boil and remove from the heat. Sir in the parmesan and basil.

4. Add the pasta and the reserved cooking water to the wok and toss to coat; season with salt and pepper.

Enjoy!