Monday, September 6, 2010

"A" is for Amazed!

It's been 3ish weeks since the little bug started kindergarten and Amazed is the word that seems fitting for our experience this far. Kindergarten has been our little bugs first experience with school, he's been at home with me since he was born, so this has been new experiences for both of us. Within three weeks our schedule at home has been overhauled and adjusted as we've seen what works and what doesn't. My days have changed dramatically, too...I can clean the house w/out somebody right behind me dropping crumbs or toys (and it stays clean until 2:45pm when he gets home.) I'm still figuring out what to do with myself, I have a few things planned, but need to get used to the whole school thing in general before I start on bigger projects.

What GQ has learned in the first weeks of school is amazing! He's grown more confident in letter recognition, both upper and lower cases. Before it seemed like he was guessing, now he's just spouting them off...he's spelling everything he sees, either out loud or writing it down. He's counting to 100! I couldn't get him past 12 w/out being too bored. He's sorting, working on patterns and can sing Baa, Baa Blacksheep, Georgie Pourgie and Pease Porridge Hot for you. It's so cute to watch him build cars with Legos while singing those nursery rhymes! I swear some days he can already read, too. He's telling us how may syllables are in words, what letters they start with, what sounds they make. It's not always right, but he's getting there, faster than I ever imagined. Pretty soon they'll be no fooling this kid; we won't be able to spell a thing to get past him!

I'm still amazed that watching him walk into the school will make me tear up. He's this little guy in such a big building. It's a bit overwhelming for him yet, too, but we'll get to a point where he'll do it all on his own. Until that day, I'm happy to walk him to the front door.

I've been keeping a daily diary of sorts with GQ's kindergarten experience. Thought it will be something nice to include with his scrapbooks so he can one day read how the start of school was for all of us.

1 comment:

And along comes three... said...

Isn't it amazing how much they change in kindergarten....and a little sad too?!?!