Friday, May 1, 2009

Super-simple dinner...

I have a beautiful wedding card to post but want to wait until after the wedding tonight. So until I post that I wanted to share a super-simple and absolutely delicious dish I made the other night for dinner.

I made a few slight changes to the recipe below: used canned, diced tomatoes instead of fresh (because hubby hates tomatoes, but he liked these!) and the original recipe called for black leans and jalapenos, I didn't have any on hand so replaced with pinto beans and green peppers. Probably a good call on no jalapenos because I'm not a spicy girl, the dash of hot sauce added enough zip for me.

Beans, Corn and Rice

Ingredients:
* 6 cups cooked brown rice
* 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
* 1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained
* 4 fresh tomatoes, diced
* 1/2 cup onion, chopped
* 1 green pepper, seeded and diced
* 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
* 2 dashes hot sauce

Directions:
1. Cook brown rice.
2. In a medium bowl, combine beans, corn, tomatoes, onion, green pepper, lime juice, oil, salt, pepper and hot sauce.
3. To serve, Place a scoop of hot rice in a bowl or on a plate, top with a generous scoop of the bean mixture.
4. Stir together before eating.


Be sure to save some of the bean mixture for the next day...it gets so yummy sitting in the marinade a bit longer...I ate it with out any rice the next day and it was better than the first day!

Enjoy!

No comments: